The Catacombs at “Kom el-Shoqafa” (Arabic: “Mound of the shards”) are part of Alexandria’s ancient necropolis. It presents a fantastic mix of Pharonic funreal cult with Hellenistic and early Roman influences.
The complex was used up to the 4th Century CE.
It was discovered in 1900 when a donkey fell accidentally in to one of the entrance shafts.
Besides human remains, in the “Hall of Caracalla” bones of Caracalla’s horses were also found.
|Kom el-Shoqafa Catacombs on Wikipedia|
|Kom el-Shoqafa Catacombs on Tripadvisor|
|Kom el-Shoqafa Catacombs on Google Maps|
Points of Interest in the Area
|Library of Alexandria (Bibliotheca Alexandrina)|
A 360 Degrees image inside the Catacombs of Kom el-Shoqafa