The Montfort Castle (French: “Strong Mountain”) was first developed as a farm in the western Galilee in by the French De Milly family.
In 1220 they sold the estate to the German Teutonic order, who transformed it to a spur castle, and changed/ translated its name to “Starkenberg” (German: “Strong Mountain”).
Montfort became the headquorters of the Teutonic order, and their treasury and archives were moved to the site.
In 1271 Baibars made a second attempt to conquer Montfort, and the battle ended with Teutocnic clrearance of the site with all their possesion. The archives were taken to Acre and later to Europe and are preserved to this day.
|Montfort Castle on Wikipedia|
|Montfort Castle on Google +|
|Montfort Castle on Google Maps|
|Montfort Castle Archaeological project|
Points of Interest in the Area
|Rosh Hanikra Grottoes|
A 360 Degrees photo in Montfort Castle