“San Simon” Monastery is a Greek-Orthodox complex built in the 19th century on a hilltop 5 km south of Jeruslaem. By mediavel tradition it is the burial site of “Saing Simon”, A jewish elder who met and blessed Jesus when he was an infant (Luke 2).
Today the monastery is maintained by a single monk (Theodoritus) and is opened only for Christian pilgrims.
Next to the monastery is the former summer house of the Greek-Orthodox Jerusalem Patriarch. In it’s walls bullets holes of a fierce battle that took place here in 1948 can still be seen.
|San Simon Monastery in Hebrew Wikipedia|
|San Simon on Google Maps|
Points of Interest in the Area
|Ramat Rachel archaeologiclal site|
|Monastery of the Cross|