The “Sisters of Nazareth” were established in 1855.
In 1884, while constructing a structure for the convent in Nazareth (some 50 m west of the Church of Annunciation ), they discovered a large burial cave with 3-4 burial niches (“Kokhim”).
The local tradition argues that this was the home of Joseph, who decided to turn it to the family burial plot – Mary, Jesus, and himself. But since Mary and Jesus moved to Jerusalem, it was used only for Joseph’s own burial.
Between 2006 to 2010 the site was excavated by K. Dark, head of the “Nazareth Archaeological Project”. He argued that the remains of a first century house could be detected.
These conclusions were criticized by René Salm, as presented HERE.
|Sisters of Nazareth on Wikipedia|
|Sisters of Nazareth Convent on Tripadvisor|
|Sisters of Nazareth Convent on Google +|
|Sisters of Nazareth Convent on Google Maps|
|Sisters of Nazareth Convent Website|
Points of Interest in the Area
|Church of Annunciation|
|S. Joseph Church|