LICENSING EXAMINATION – TOUR GUIDE COURSE
Examinee number: _________________ Identity Card number: ________________
Part A: Knowledge Questions – Total of 30 Points
Time allotment for this section: 1 hour.
Auxiliary material: non-electronic dictionary only.
Please select and answer no more than 45 of the 50 multiple-choice questions below. If you answer more than 45 questions, the first 45 questions answered will be taken into account. Select the most correct answer and mark it on the answer sheet. Each correct answer is worth 0.66 points.
- The first fruit mentioned in the Book of Genesis (Bereshit) is the:
- Bramble (atad)
- Nahal Tavor flows into:
- The Jordan River
- Nahal Harod
- Lake Kinneret (Sea of Galilee)
- Nahal Kishon
- A lichen (hazazit) is a:
- Geological phenomenon
- Type of desert plant
- Alga and a fungus
- What is patina?
- A type of dolomite
- A crust formed on the surface of rocks
- Light soil in the coastal area
- A type of chalk rock
- The following plants are characteristic of Mediterranean woodland in Israel:
- Jerusalem pine (oren yerushalayim) and terebinth (ela erets-yisraelit)
- Christ’s thorn jujube (shezaf) and Quercus oak (alon matsuy)
- Quercus oak (alon matsuy) and terebinth (ela erets-yisraelit)
- Eastern strawberry tree (ktalav) and carob (haruv)
- What is plate tectonics?
a. A Roman military strategy
b. Abrasion platforms (luhot gidud) along Israel’s Mediterranean coast
c. A geological theory that explains, among other things, the phenomenon of the Syrian-African Rift Valley
d. Another name for the dolmens found in the Golan Heights
- To which period do the earliest pottery artifacts date back to?
- The Iron Age
- The Early Canaanite
- The Chalcolithic
- The late Neolithic
- Gedalya ben Ahikam was one of the leaders of:
- The Galilean Jewish community during the Great Revolt
- The Masada uprising
- The rebellion against the Babylonians
- The Jews remaining in the Land of Israel following the destruction of the First Temple
- Which of the following are majorprehistoric sites in Israel:
- Ubeidiya and Nahal HaMe’arot
- Nahal Amud and Rosh Pinna
- Sha’ar HaGolan and Migdal
- Bet Zayit and the Kastel
10. The “First Wall” according to Flavius Josephus dates back to the days of:
- Hezekiah (Hizkiyahu)
- The Hasmoneans
- Herod the Great
- Agrippa I
11. With which siege are the Lakhish pottery shards associated with?
- Egyptian, from the days of Shishak
12. What is stucco?
- Molded plaster
- Painted decorations on dry plaster
- Painted decorations on wet (fresh) plaster
- Stone carving
13. Which of the following sites has no Hasmonean remains?
- Hyrcania (Horkania)
14. Where was the stone with the inscription “To the trumpeting place…” (lebet hatekiah) located?
- In the western corner of the Antonia Fortress
- In the southwestern corner of the Temple Mount
- In the northeastern corner of the Hakra Fortress
- At the head of Robinson’s Arch
15. A synagogue dating back to the Second Temple Period was discovered in:
- Hamat Tiberias
- c. Bet Alfa
16. To which dynasty did Harun al-Rashid belong?
17. Who captured the Philistine cities of Ekron and Ashkelon?
- Sennacherib (Sanherib)
- Sargon II
- Alexander the Great
18. The remains of two monumental gates from the late Roman Period were found in:
- Jerusalem and Bet She’an
- Tiberias and Ashkelon
- Tel Dan and Tsefat
- Masada and Jerusalem
19. Which of the following pairs of sites were destroyed by the same earthquake?
- Jaffa and Chastellet (Metsad Ateret)
- Akko and Hirbet al-Minya
- Bet She’an andHirbet al-Mafjar
- Herodium and Moa
20. Major mosques named for Omar can be found in:
- Jerusalem and Lod
- Jaffa and Jericho
- Kafr Kanna and Akko
- Jerusalem and Tsefat
21. The Crusader fortress of Belvoir (Kokhav HaYarden) was captured by the:
- An Ottoman national liberation movement
- Reforms in the Ottoman Empire during the 19th century
- Special taxes imposed on minorities in Palestine in the late 19th century
- Restrictions on building synagogues according to the Pact of Umar
23. Who came to Israel in the early 19th century?
- Rabbi Yehuda HaNasi and his disciples
- Rabbi Nahman of Breslev and his disciples
- The Biluim
- The disciples of the Vilna Gaon
24. Which of the following was designed by the architect Richard Kaufman?
- The cooperative in Merhavia
- The Kinneret Courtyard
25. “His Majesty’s government view with favour the establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people…”. This is a quotation from the:
- General Allenby’s declaration at the ceremony of Jerusalem’s surrender
- The Balfour Declaration
- The declaration by the first High Commissioner – Sir Herbert Samuel, who was of Jewish origin
- Ahad HaAm’s article – “Past and Future”
26. “Operation Solomon” is related to the immigration of Jews to Israel from:
- The Soviet Union
27. How many popes visited Israel?
28. Which of the following settlements was one of the three outposts (mitspim) established in the Negev?
29. The community of Merhav Am is located:
- In the Jordan Valley, near the road in memory of Rehav’am Ze’evi
- In the Golan Heights, near Um-el-Kanatir
- In the Negev, between Sede Boker and Yeroham
- West of Eilat, near Mt. Rehav’am
30. What was the “Reparations Agreement”?
- Compensation given to Holocaust survivors by North American Jewish Organizations
- Compensation given to the State of Israel and Holocaust survivors by the German government
- Financial relief given to Holocaust survivors by the Israeli government
- Payment given by the Israeli government to victims of terrorist attacks
31. To which of the following military campaign is the capture of the Mitla Pass connected?
a. The Sinai War (Operation Kadesh, mivtsa kadesh)
b. Israel’s War of Independence
c. The First Lebanese War
d. None of the above
32. Where was the village of Deir Yassin located?
- Near Kalkilya
- In the Hulda area
- Between Jaffa and Tel Aviv
- At the edge of the Giv’at Shaul neighborhood in Jerusalem
33. While guiding a group you encounter a fire. Which number should you call to reach the fire department?
34. What is the “benediction concerning heretics” (birkat haminim)?
- The blessing of the four species on the festival of Sukkot
- The blessing on the “seven species” (shiv’at haminim) with which the Land of Israel was blessed
- A part of the Shmone Esreh prayer
- The blessing said on spices in the Havdala
35. On which holiday was the water libation (pouring of water, nisukh hamayim) performed during the Second Temple Period?
- Rosh HaShanah
36. Whose 500th anniversary was celebrated in Tiberias recently?
- Dona Gracia
- Rabbi Haim Abulafia
- Rabbi Meir Ba’al HaNes
- Princess Berenice (Bereniki)
37. Where is the fountain named for Mary, mother of Jesus found?
- Sephoris (Tsipori)
- En Kerem
38. In Christianity the Prophet Elijah is a prefiguration of:
- John the Baptist
39. The order of the books in the New Testament is:
- Gospels (evangelium), Acts of the Apostles (maasei hashelihim), Epistles (igrot), Book of Revelation (hitgalut)
- Gospels (evangelium), Epistles (igrot), Book of Revelation (hitgalut), Acts of the Apostles (maasei hashelihim)
- Epistles (igrot), Book of Revelation (hitgalut), Acts of the Apostles (maasei hashelihim), Gospels (evangelium)
- Epistles (igrot), Acts of the Apostles (maasei hashelihim), Gospels (evangelium), Book of Revelation (hitgalut)
40. What is “Zakaat”?
- A part of the Muslim prayer
- Part of the Hadith
- A sura in the Qur’an (Koran)
- One of the fundamental commands of Islam
41. Where is there a major Samaritan (shomroni) site?
- At the Inn of the Good Samaritan
- In Holon
- In Ramle
- In Moshav Matsliah
42. When and where did the Ahmadiyya movement begin?
- In Egypt in the 11th century
- In the city of Hamdan in Iran, in the 19th century
- In Shiraz, Iran, in the 19th century
- In Qadian, India, in the 19th century
43. The mouth of which river is located near Mikhmoret?
44. The Alumot Dam is located:
- South of Lake Kinneret (Sea of Galilee)
- Near Old Gesher
- At the mouth of the Yarmukh River
- North of the “Mountainous Jordan” (yarden harari)
45. What was Hamat Gader famous for in ancient times?
- One of cities fortified and fenced by Yosef ben Matityahu (Flavius Josephus)
- As a major Gadarene (gidriyim) city
- As a medicinal baths site
- Its excellent wines
46. Until which period did the descendents of the Nabateans live in Israel?
- Early Muslim
47. Calatrava’s Bridge at the entrance to Jerusalem is:
- Part of the route of the Jerusalem Light Rail
- Part of the future train track from Modi’in to Jerusalem
- A memorial to the Twin Towers tragedy
- A gift from the Spanish people to the Holy City
48. Where is the name Tel Aviv mentioned for the first time?
- In Herzl’s “Altneuland”
- In Ahad HaAm’s “At the Crossroads”
- In Herzl’s “The Jewish State”
- In the Book of Ezekiel
49. What is the view from Mt. Sodom to the east?
50. In 2010 the Ministry of Tourism held a ceremony to commemorate the visit of:
- 2 million tourists to Israel
- 3 million tourists to Israel
- 4 million tourists to Israel
- 5 million tourists to Israel