Abu Simbel Temples are two massive rock carved twin temples, erected by Ramses II in Southern Egypt, near the border with Sudan.
They were created to commorate the King, his wife Nefartari, and his claimed victory at the battle of Kadesh.
The site was later covered up by sand, and was re-discovered only in 1813 by the Swiss explorer Jean-Louis Buckhardt (who also discovered Petra ).
The complex was relocated in 1968 to a higher elevation due to the creation of the Aswan Dam.
|Abu Simbel Temples on Wikipedia|
|Abu Simbel Temples on Tripadvisor|
|Abu Simbel Temples on Google Maps|
Points of Interest in the Area
A 360 Degrees Image in front of a Temple at Abu Simbel
A short video presenting the project of moving the Abu-Simbel Temples