Al-Jazzar Mosque in Akko is named after the Ottoman governer Ahmad Pasha “al-Jazzar” (Arabic: “The Cutter”), and it was deseigned by him. Completed in 1781, the mosque is imitating the “Hagia Sofia” building in Istanbul, and is built over the ruins of the “Santa Croce” church from the time of the Crusaders.
Al-Jazzar and his son are buried in the courtyard next to the building. The Mosque is the second biggest mosque in Israel, and one of the most impressive monuments from Ottoman times.
Book a Private Tour to Akko, including a visit to Al-Jazzar Mosque
Points of Interest in the Area
|Hospitallers Citadel / “The Knights Halls”|
|Akko Mosaics synagogue|