The “Birds” Mosaic was found by chance in 1950 during an IDF drill in the area. Re-exposure of the site in 2004 indictated it was part of a Villa Sub Urbana, A suburban mansion from Byzantine times. Most of the mosaic is a display of 50 birds within medallions, hence its name. It’s frame depicts wild animals and hunting scenes., and its entrance imitates Upus sectile tiling. Dating to the 5th Century CE, the mansion may have been part of a mansion of a leading figure in Byzantine Caesarea.
Points of Interest in the Area
|Rabbi Abbahu Tomb mark|