“Mishkenot Sha-ananim” was the very first Jewish neighbourhood formed outside the city walls of the old city of Jerusalem.
Founded in 1860, it marks the beginning of Jerusalem’s expansion to the west. Initiated by Moshe Montefiore and financed by Judah Touro , the colony had two rows of 2 rooms houses, and a flowermill, which now operates again. Within the neighborhood are also remains of the Roman era aquaducts that delivered water to Jerusalem from the South.
Book a Private Tour to Mishkenot Shananim
Points of Interest in the Area
|Ketef Hinnom tombs|
|Mamilla Pedestrian Mall|
|Day Tour of Jerusalem|