Founded in 1870 by the Archimandrite Antonine Kapustin, it is one of the first Russian compounds in the Holy Land.
The main church in the compound is built around a rock believed to be where Mary Magdalene stood at the ascension of Jesus. The bell tower of the church is exceptionally high and forms a landmark that can be seen from many parts of the city. A smaller chapel in the compound is by local tradition at the spot where the head of John the Baptist was found.
For a full appreciation of the site it is recommended to combine it with a guided day tour of Jerusalem.
Contact Us to Inquire about a Tour of Jerusalem
Points of Interest in the Area
|Chapel of the Ascension|
|Church of the Pater Noster|
|Tomb of the Prophets|