Although not a corporation, I believe that I (and all tour-guides) should follow an ethical code. Inspired by Moses himself.., here are my “Ten (Ethical) Commandments“:.The five “do”:
1. QUALITY – My review of the sites and subjects will strive to be of the highest quality.
2. “I.A.I”. – My explanations will always aim to be “I.A.I.” – INFORMATIVE, ACCURATE, and above all – INTERESTING!.
3. VISUAL AIDS – Whenever possible I will include visual aids in my guides: charts, maps, replicas of coins, etc.
4. SAFETY – THE SAFETY OF MY CLIENTS COMES FIRST!.
5. HUMOR – So is their dignity. Gentle humor, mildly used, and in a non offensive style.
The five “Don’t”:
1. NO BULSHIT – I will not tell “bobe mayses” (Yiddish for “tales”).
2. NO EXTRA COSTS – I will not ask the client to cover my entrance fees and meals.
3. NO TIPS – I do not ask , expect, or work for a tip. I do my job the best I can to be worthy of the fees I charge, not beyond that. True that tips are common in my field, but I don’t think they are an automatic addition one should add to the total pay. Only if you felt the touring experience was exceptional, you may express it also by a tip. Far more important for me that you recommend me to all you know. A kind word about me on tripadvisor would also be much appreciated!.
4. NO SHOPPING – I will not seek to take clients shopping. I will include shopping stops ONLY if the client(s) ask for it.
5. NO COMISSION! – And I definitely will not hustle shops to provide me a commission!.