LICENSING EXAMINATION – TOUR GUIDE COURSE
Examinee number: _________________ Identity Card number: ________________
Part A: Knowledge Questions – Total of 30 Points
Time allotment for this section: 1 hour.
Auxiliary material: non-electronic dictionary only.
Below are 50 multiple-choice questions, of which you must choose and answer only 45. If you answer more than 45 questions, the first 45 questions answered will be taken into account. Select the most correct answer and mark it on the answer sheet.
Each correct answer is worth 0.66 points.
1 What is the process of abrasion (gidud)?
- Transportation of sand along the coastline
- Deepening a streambed on the coast
- Coastline erosion by waves
- Coastline building by waves and river flow to the sea
2. Which of the following areas borders on Samaria (Shomron) to the east, Nahal Taninim to the north and Nahal Yarkon to the south?
- The Sharon
- The Carmel coast
- The Judean Lowlands
- The Yizre’el Valley
3. Which of the following are included in the “seven species” (shiv’at haminim)?
- Willow (arava), myrtle (hadas), palm branch (lulav)
- Pomegranate (rimon), fig (te’ena), barley (se’ora)
- Grapes (gefen), almond, wheat
- Myrtle (hadas), olive, date
4. Freshwater is:
- Suited only for irrigating agricultural crops
- Composed of effluents that have undergone oxidation
- Composed of effluents that have undergone primary purification
- Suited for drinking
5. How many pairs of legs do animals belonging to the insect order have?
6. Which of the following plants is one of the species that herald autumn (mevasrei stav)?
- The coral peony (admonit hahoresh)
- The Galilee orchid (sahlav hagalil)
- The groundsel (savion)
- The sternbergia (helmonit)
7. Numismatics is a science that studies:
8. Khirbat al-Mafjar (Hisham’s Palace) is located near:
- Khirbet Mazin
9. The main water source of Lakhish was:
- A well
- A spring (ma’ayan shikhva)
- An aqueduct
- Plastered cisterns
10. A chamber gate (“Solomon’s Gate”) was found at:
- The City of David
- Tel Azeka
11. An inscription in which the words “David’s House” (bet david) appear, was found at:
- Tel Arad
- Tel Beit Mirsim
- Tel Dan
- Tel Hatsor
12. Josephus Flavius led the rebels at:
- The Temple Mount
13. The Hellenistic center in Jerusalem at the time of the Hasmonean Rebellion was located in the:
- Psephinus Tower
- Acra (hakra)
14. Which of the following was the water source of the upper aqueduct to Jerusalem?
- En Etam
- The Towers’ Pool in the Upper City.
- The upper pool at Solomon’s Pools
- The Serpents’ Pool
15. What was the name of the port Herod built in Caesarea?
- Stratton Tower
- Caesarea Maritima
- Caesarea Philippi
16. The dividing wall in a hippodrome is called a:
17. What was the Sanhedrin?
- The Council of Elders at the time of the Return to Zion (shivat tsion)
- The supreme Jewish religious and political institution
- A body established by Ezra the Scribe
- The council of the 24 priestly courses (mishmarot hakehuna)
18. Which of the following sites was built in the Abbasid Period?
- The Pool of the Arches in Ramle
- The al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem
- The Tankhizia building in Jerusalem
- Khirbat al-Mafjar (Hisham’s Palace)
19. The Battle of Arsuf in 1191 was won by the:
20. The first crusader ruler of Jerusalem was named the:
- Crusader King of Jerusalem
- Defender of the Holy Sepulcher
- Protector of the Holy Land
- Redeemer of the Holy Sepulcher
21. Darb-el-Barid (the Mamluk mail route) for the most followed the:
- Sea Route (Derekh HaYam)
- Spice Route (Derekh HaBesamim)
- Forefathers Route (Derekh HaAvot)
- Royal Route (Derekh HaMelekh)
22. The Mamluk turbawas a:
- Sufi site
- Religious school
23. The following order adopted the Crusader Kingdom of Jerusalem as its symbol:
- Greek Orthodox
24. Who ruled the Land of Israel between the years 1831-1840?
- The Ottoman Empire
- Great Britain
25. Shimon Rokah was one of the founders of:
- Ahuzat Bayit
- Gey Oni
- Neve Tsedek
26. The Fourth Aliyah participated mainly in:
- Establishing kibbutzim
- Urban settlement
- Establishing “tower and stockade” settlements
- Establishing moshavim
27. The 1929 riots broke out following:
- The events at Tel Hai
- The San Remo Conference Resolution
- The Western Wall events
- The Paulet-Newcombe Agreement
28. One of the sites memorializing children in the Holocaust is located in:
- Lohame HaGeta’ot
- Yad HaShemona
29. The “Dani Campaign” was related to the following cities:
- Ramle and Lod
- Jaffa and Ramle
- Safed (Tsefat) and Tiberias
- Be’er Sheva and Ashkelon
30. The “Green Line” is the armistice line determined in:
31. Which of the following is a legislative body?
- The Israeli government
- The Knesset (Israeli parliament)
- The Israel Police
- The Israeli Supreme Court
32. Which was the first Jewish settlement established in Judea and Samaria following the Six-Day War?
- Kefar Etsiyon
- Alon Moreh
- Bet El
33. The “Tel Line” is the name for:
- Tel Faher and Tel Azaziat
- The archeological tels in the Golan Heights
- The volcanic hills in the Golan Heights
- The Canaanite tels in the lowlands (shefela)
34. How many times a day is “Kriat Shema” said as part of the prayers?
- Three times
- Four times
35. What must a tourist going from Israel to Bethlehem have?
- A visa
- Authorization from the military governor
- Authorization from the civil administration
- A passport
36. The fast of the 17thof Tammuz is held in memory of the:
- Breaching of the Jerusalem walls
- Destruction of the First Temple
- Destruction of the Second Temple
- Fall of Betar
37. What does Pentecost celebrate?
- The ascent of Jesus to heaven
- The dormition (sleep) of Mary
- Descent of the holy spirit on the apostles
- The baptism of Jesus in the Jordan
38. In whose time was the Nea Church built?
- Justinian (Yustinianus)
- Constantine (Constantinus)
39. What is a narthex?
- A narrow transverse corridor before the apse
- The entrance courtyard to the church
- A transverse corridor in a church located between the atrium and the nave
- The nave between the aisles
40. A Christian or Jewish tourist wishing to visit the Temple Mount this week will enter via the:
- Chain Gate (Sha’ar HaShalshelet)
- Dung Gate (Sha’ar HaAshpot)
- Gate of the Moors (Sha’ar HaMugrabim)
- Cotton Merchant’s Gate (Sha’ar HaKutna)
41. According to the Druze who is believed to be buried in the tomb of Nebi Shueib?
- Zevulun the son of Jacob
- The Prophet Elijah (Eliyahu HaNavi)
- Joshua Ben-Nun
- Jethro (Yitro)
42. The first sura in the Koran (Qur’an) opens with the words:
- In the name of Allah
- Allah’s opening
- Allah’s call
- The great Allah
43. The Jordan River’s main source of water is the:
44. In which Templar colony is there a church?
- Bet Lehem HaGelilit
45. According to Christian tradition St. Stephen’s (Stephanos) bones were discovered in:
- Deir Rafat
- Mt. Zion
- Bet Jimal
- Abu Gosh
46. Which of the following coastal cities in Israel is related to Greek mythology?
47. Who built Haifa in the 18thcentury?
- Dhaher al-Omar
- Mahmud Abu Nabut
48. In whose time was the limesestablished
- Hadrian (Adrianus)
- Herod (Hordus)
- Trajan (Traianus)
- Diocletian (Diocletianus)
49. Which of the following is a leading ecological settlement in southern Israel?
- Kibbutz Lotan
- Moshav En Yahav
- Mitspe Ramon
50. Qumran’s former name is believed to be:
LICENSING EXAMINATION – TOUR GUIDE COURSE
Part B – Total of 70 Points
Time allotment for this section of the examination: two and a half hours.
Auxiliary aids permitted:
- A 1:250,000 scale touring map of Israel (maps with any additional information are not permitted).
Choose one of the following three groups and plan a tour for it.
Group No. 1
A group of Jewish students from abroad, in Israel to visit sites related to Jewish history from ancient times until the present. The tour areas are marked on the attached map.
The tour leaves from Tel Aviv on Monday at 08:00 and ends at the Western Wall in Jerusalem on Tuesday at 19:00.
- The tour must include the following regions: Tel Aviv-Jaffa, the Ayalon Valley, the Jerusalem Hills and the city of Jerusalem.
- The tour must include a half-day excursion in Tel Aviv-Jaffa and a full-day excursion in Jerusalem that includes all historical periods from the First and Second Temple periods onwards.
- The elaborated point must be in Jerusalem and related to the tour theme.
Group No. 2
A group of Israeli nature-lovers interested in Christian traditions and architecture in Israel. The tour areas are marked on the attached map.
The tour begins at Kursi in northern Israel, on Monday at 8:00, and ends at Mamshit in southern Israel on Tuesday at 17:00.
- The tour should include the following regions: eastern Lake Kinneret (Sea of Galilee), the Jordan Valley, the Dead Sea area and the southern Judean Desert down to Mamshit.
- The elaborated point must be related to Christianity.
Group No. 3
A group of tourists on a tour from Haifa to the north, according to the area marked on the attached map.
The tour begins in Haifa on Monday at 08:00 and ends at their hotel in Akko on Tuesday at 19:00.
- The tour should include a half-day excursion in Haifa and a half-day excursion in Akko.
- The elaborated point must be in either Haifa or Akko.
- The program should include a variety of subjects: geography, history, archeology, human culture and landscape.