LICENSING EXAMINATION – TOUR GUIDE COURSE
Part A: Knowledge Questions – Total of 30 Points
Time allotment for this section: 1 hour.
Auxiliary material: non-electronic dictionary only.
Please select and answer no more than 45 of the 50 multiple-choice questions below. If you answer more than 45 questions, the first 45 questions answered will be taken into account. Select the most correct answer and mark it on the answer sheet. Each correct answer is worth 0.66 points.
1. Which of the following flowers is never red?
- Anemone (kalanit)
- Sun’s-eye Tulip (tsiv’oni heharim)
- Alkanet (leshon hapar)
- Poppy (parag)
2. Ammonites were formed from:
- Marine animals
- Marine tuff
- Mammal skeletons
- The crystallization of flint
3. The Sakhnin Valley is located between the following ridges:
- Tur’an and Nazareth
- Meron and Shagor
- Carmel and Samaria
- Yodfat and Shagor
4. The Allon road is also called the:
- Jordan Valley Road (kvish HaBik’a)
- Ginosar Route (tsir Ginosar)
- Northern Road (kvish HaTsafon)
- “Land of the Chase” Road (Derekh Erets HaMirdafim)
5. Which region in Israel is the focus of the recent environmental battle against quarrying oil shale?
- The Coastal Plain
- The Judean Plain
- The Mediterranean Sea bottom within Israeli territorial waters
- The Golan Heights
6. At which of the following sites can ibex (ye’elim) be seen?
a. En Ya’el
b. Mt. Carmel
c. Valley of the Gazelles (Emek HaTsva’im)
d. En Avdat
7. When were coins first used in the Land of Israel?
- The Iron Age
- The Persian Period
- The Hellenistic Period
- The Roman Period
8. Which of the following has recently been declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO?
- Nahal Me’arot
- Bet She’an
- The Cave of the Treasure in Nahal Mishmar
9. In which century BCE did the campaign of Thutmose III occur?
10. The findings at Khirbet Qeiyafa are associated with an archaeological debate relating to which of the following periods?
- The Joint Monarchy
- Sennacherib’s (Sanherib) campaign
- Hellenistic Period
- Early Christianity
11. Samaria (Shomron), the capital of the Kingdom of Israel, was captured and destroyed by:
- The Babylonian Empire
- The Samaritans
- The Chaldeans (Kasdim)
- The Assyrian Kingdom
12. Which of the following was one of the Decapolis cities?
- Caesarea Philippi
13. At which of the following sites did the Mayumas celebration occur?
- Mt. Gerizim
14. The Great Revolt broke out during the reign of:
- Julius Caesar
15. On which mountain is the southern Roman camp overlooking Masada located?
- Mt. Ben Ya’ir
- Mt. El’azar
- Mt. Yishai
- Mt. Namer
16. The name Haifa first mentioned in the:
- Execration texts (kitvei hame’erot)
- Old Testament
- New Testament
17. Which of the following remains were discovered in the archaeological excavations conducted opposite the Western Wall plaza?
- The Herodian Cardo
- The Roman Cardo
- The Roman Decumanus
- A Roman villa
18. At the time of the Hijra the Land of Israel was ruled by the:
19. The remains of which crusader quarter in Akko are found mainly in the sea?
- The Templar
- The Teutonic
- The Genoese
- The Venetian
20. The Crusader fortifications at Bet Guvrin were established as part of the fortification system developed to lay siege to:
21. Who ruled Jerusalem at the time of Nahmanides’ (Ramban) visit?
a. The Crusaders
b. The Ayyubids
c. The Mamluks
d. The Seljuqs
22. At which sites are there clock towers built in honor of Sultan Abdul Hamid II?
- Tsfat, Ramle, Jerusalem
- Shekhem, Haifa, Tsfat
- Tiberias, Jerusalem, Akko
- Be’er Sheva, Jaffa, Ashkelon
23. Which of the following was the second neighborhood built outside the Jerusalem city walls?
1. Nahalat Shiv’a
2. Yemin Moshe
3. Bet David
4. Mahaneh Yisrael
24. Where can we find British military cemeteries in Israel?
- Tiberias, Haifa
- Ramle, Be’er Sheva
- Be’er Sheva, Shekhem
- Jerusalem, Ashkelon
25. During which aliyah did the largest number of olim arrive?
26. The Jewish Legion (gedudim ivriyim) was active during:
- World War I
- World War II
- The Arab Revolt of 1929
- The Arab Revolt of 1936
27. The date chosen for Holocaust Remembrance Day (Yom HaShoah) is related to which event?
- Kristallnacht (crystal night, leil habdolah)
- The Wannsee Conference
- The Warsaw Ghetto uprising
- The end of World War II
28. Through which of the following crossings is merchandise brought into Gaza?
- Kerem Shalom
29. Where is the Monument to the Fighting Women (yad laisha halohemet) located?
a. Sdot Yam
b. Giv’at Haviva
c. Ramat Rahel
30. At which of the following sites is there a museum dedicated to “illegal immigration” (ha’apala) and the Israel Navy?
- Kfar Vitkin
31. What is the “sigad”?
- An Armenian festival
- A Samaritan festival
- A Kara’ite house of prayer
- An Ethiopian festival
32. Bethlehem is locate in area:
- a. A
- b. B
- c. C
33. What is the first thing that should be done if one of your group members collapses and loses consciousness?
- Open his/her mouth
- Remove secretions
- Call for help and keep everyone safe
- Massage his/her heart
34. What are the Days of Atonement (yamim nora’im)?
- The period between Holocaust Remembrance Day (yom hasho’a) and the IDF Memorial Day (yom hazikaron)
- The period between the 17th of Tamuz and the 9th of Av
- The period between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur
- The month of Elul
35. It is customary to read the Book of Lamentations (Megilat Eikha) on:
- The Fast of Gedaliyah
- Yom Kippur
- The 17th of Tamuz
- The 9th of Av
36. The Lord’s Prayer (Avinu SheBaShamayim) is written in many languages on the walls of a church located:
- On the Via Dolorosa
- On Mount Tabor
- In En Kerem
- On the Mount of Olives
37. The Christian Uniate churches are:
- Eastern churches that acknowledged papal authority
- Churches that believe that Jesus had human nature
- Churches that believe that Jesus had divine nature
- Protestant denominations
38. Which of the following sites is associated with Pentecost?
- Mary’s Well in Nazareth
- Mount of the Beatitudes (Har HaOsher)
- The Room of the Last Supper
39. Hanifite, Shafi’ite, Hanbalite and Malikite are:
- Sunni Islam schools of law
- Shia Islam denominations
- Major dynasties from the Early Arab Period
- Mamluk military schools
40. How many suras are there in the Qur’an (Koran)
- About 10
- About 50
- About 100
- About 500
41. Nebi Sabalan is a holy site near:
- The Horkanya Valley
- Karne Hittin
- Birket Ram
- Mt. Meron
42. Azazme and Tarabin are names of:
- Muslim villages in northern Samaria
- Bedouin tribes in Israel
- Two Sunni schools of law
- Bedouin villages in the Galilee
43. The most ancient synagogue in the Golan Heights was found at:
44. The story of the Yemenite Jews who came to the area of Lake Kinneret (Sea of Galilee) should be told at:
- Um Junni
- The Motor House (Bet HaMotor)
- Bitanya Illit
45. Between 1949 and 1967 The Hadassah Hospital on Mt. Scopus was:
- Under United Nations control
- Under Jordanian control
- Under Israeli control
- No man’s land (sheath hefker)
46. The shortest, most convenient route from Jerusalem to Herodium passes:
- Near the Homat Shmuel (Har Homa) neighborhood
- Near Migdal Oz
- Through Efrat
- Through the Tunnel Road (Kvish HaMinharot)
47. “The New Jewish Cemetery” of Yaffo from the early 20th century, is now known as:
- The cemetery just south of Old Jaffa
- Trumpeldor Cemetery
- Nahalat Yitzhak Cemetery
- Kiryat Shaul
48. The Lakhish reliefs were found in:
49. Where is the “Cave of the Letters” located?
- Nahal Hever
- Nahal Tse’elim
- Nahal David
- Nahal Mishmar
50. Israel’s national bird is the:
- Palestine sunbird
- Griffon vulture