LICENSING EXAMINATION – TOUR GUIDE COURSE
Part A: Knowledge Questions – Total of 30 Points
Time allotment for this section: 1 hour.
Auxiliary material: non-electronic dictionary only.
Please select and answer no more than 45 of the 50 multiple-choice questions below. If you answer more than 45 questions, the first 45 questions answered will be taken into account. Select the most correct answer and mark it on the answer sheet. Each correct answer is worth 0.66 points.
1. What sort of a spring is En Mabu’a in Nahal Prat (Wadi Kelt)?
- A gravity spring
- A fault spring
- A thermal spring
- A rhythmic (intermittent) spring
2. Which of the following was an ancient dryland farming (haklaut baal) crop?
3. In which of the following streams was the Nile softshell turtle population rehabilitated?
- Shekhem (Nablus)
4. The following animal species was successfully restored to nature in northern Israel:
- The mountain gazelle (tsvi eretsyisraeli)
- The Nubian ibex (yael)
- The Persian fallow deer (yah’mur)
- The red deer (ayal adom)
5. Which of the following plants is pollinated mainly by wind?
- The common almond (shaked)
- The bee orchid (dvoranit)
- The olive (zayit)
- The anemone (kalanit)
6. Where can mountain gazelles (tsvi eretsyisraeli, Gazella gazelle) be seen?
- In the southern Arava
- In the Judean Mountains
- In the Eilat Mountains
- On Mt. Hermon
7. A hypocaust is the:
- Name of the Greek god of medicine
- Running surface in stadiums
- Warm water room in the bathhouse
- Underfloor heating in the bathhouse
8. Which is the most ancient of the following sites?
- The Negev desert kites
- The temple at En Gedi
- Metsad Nekarot
- The tunnel wells (fugarot)
9. The site of Izbet Sarta is usually identified with:
- Even HaEzer
- Kiryat Ye’arim
- Bet El
- Philistine Gath
10. With which of the following sites is Biblical Sha’arayim sometimes identified?
- Tel Sokho
- Khirbet Qeiyafa
11. What is stucco?
- Painted decorations on wet (fresh) plaster
- Molded plaster
- Painted decorations on dry plaster
- An interlocking combination (tashliv) of colored stones
12. A luxurious latrine from the Byzantine Period was found at:
- The City of David (Ir David)
- Bet She’an
- The Hisham Palace (Khirbet al-Mafjar)
13. The fortress Herod built on the northwestern part of the Temple Mount was named for:
- Marcus Agrippa
- Marcus Antonius
14. Which of the following was an inscription from the synagogue at Masada?
- Ezekiel’s Vision of the Valley of Dry Bones
- Isaiah’s prophecy of the Last Days
- The Priests Blessing (birkat cohanim)
- Elazar ben Yair’s speech
15. Zodiac wheel decorations were found at:
- Migdal and Sephoris (Tsipori)
- Bet Alfa and Bet She’arim
- Hamat Tiberias and Bet Alfa
- En Gedi and Um-al-Qantir
16. Which remains were found in the southern section of Byzantine Jerusalem?
- A triumphal arch
- The Church of St. Stephanus
- The Eleona Church
- Hagia Sion
17. During which period were ossuaries (gluskemaot) used for burial in the Land of Israel?
- First and Second Temple
- Chalcolithic and Second Temple
- Bronze and Hellenistic
- Second Temple and Crusader
18. Where is the Mosque of Omar located?
- Near the Church of the Holy Sepulcher
- On Mt. Zion
- At the El-Omariya School
- Near the Mamilla Pool
19. During the 12th century the Crusaders built a system of fortifications for the purpose of laying siege to:
20. Which of the following was one of the leaders of the Third Crusade?
- Gottfried of Bouillon
- Raymond of St Gilles
- Frederick II
- Richard the Lion heart
21. Baybars ordered the destruction of the following coastal towns:
- Caesarea and Arsuf
- Ashkelon and Atlit
- Jaffa and Akko
- Ashdod and Gaza
22. The Capitulations:
a. Determined the rights of the various Christian denominations in the Church of the Holy Sepulcher
b. Strengthened the authority of the foreign consuls
c. Provided entrance permits to the Land of Israel (Palestine) during the British Mandate
d. Were permits given by Muhammad Ali for building churches.
23. Which of the following was a Bilu’im settlement?
- Rishon LeTsiyon
- Rosh Pina
24. Which immigration wave was termed the “mass immigration” (ha-aliyah hahamonit)?
- The Fifth Aliyah
- The Ha’apalah (illegal immigration)
- The immigration immediately following the establishment of the State of Israel
- The immigration from Ethiopia
25. The Austerity Regime (tsena) in Israel was in effect during the:
- Global economic depression (1929)
- War of Independence
- First years following the establishment of the State of Israel
- Period before the Six Day War
26. ANZAC is the name of:
- UNESCO’s cultural branch
- The Australian and New Zealand forces that fought in Israel during the First World War
- The Be’eri badlands (bitronot be’eri)
- The committee that discussed the partition of Palestine
27. Which of the following Israeli presidents was involved in the study of Jerusalem, the Land of Israel and Jewish communities in the east?
- Chaim Weizmann
- Yitzhak Ben-Zvi
- Zalman Shazar
- Yitzhak Navon
28. In which case can a first aid provider determine death?
- Following 20 minutes of unsuccessful CPR
- Only when there are two first aid providers at the site
- Only in cases of electrocution
- In no case
29. An arterial tourniquet should never be applied to the:
30. Which of the following is related to the Monument of the Fourteen (yad leyad)?
a. The Yehi’am Convoy
b. The Helicopter Disaster
c. The Night of the Bridges
d. The Mountain Brigade
31. The peace treaty between Israel and Jordan was signed in:
32. In which battle was the following command given: “corporals retreat, commanders stay and provide cover” (tura’im yisogu, mefakdim yisha’aru lehapot)?
- Ammunition Hill
- Tel Hai
- San Simon
33. Ethiopian immigrants were brought to Israel in:
- The return of Ezra and Nehemiya and the Magic Carpet (marvad haksamim)
- A’aleh BaTamar and the Ofira Operation
- The “Solomon” and “Moses” operations
- The Hiram and Tarshish operations
34. When are phylacteries (tefilin) put on?
- Every day
- On religious festivals
- On Shabbat and Rosh Hodesh
- Every day, except for Shabbat and festivals mentioned in the Torah
35. The fast of Yom Kippur was determined by:
- The Jewish Sages (derabanan)
- The Torah (deoraita)
- The Israeli Chief Rabbinate
36. According to the New Testament, after his resurrection Jesus was found at:
- Mt. Tabor
- The shores of Lake Kinneret (Sea of Galilee)
37. The Magnificat appears on the compound walls of the:
- Church of the Beatitudes
- Church of St. John in the Mountains
- Church of the Visitation
- Basilica of the Annunciation
38. The Feast of Pentecost is related to:
- Mt. Zion
- The Holy Sepulcher
- The baptismal site on the Jordan River
39. Which of the following, among others, does “Laylat al-Qadr” denote?
- Accepting the commandment of prayer
- The prophet’s night journey
- The decree of the destinies (kviat hagoralot)
- The last night of the Hajj
40. The term Jizyah denotes:
- The commandment of charity
- The northern Arabian Peninsula
- The protected religions
- The per-capita tax levied on non-Muslims
41. What does the term ‘uqal describe
- A type of headdress
- A type of obeisance in Muslim prayer
- The people initiated into the secrets of the Druze religion
- A title of respect for pilgrims who visited Mecca outside the Hajj
42. In which century did most of the Circassians arrive in Israel?
43. Which of the following streams marks the northern border of the Golan Heights?
- The Yarmouk River
- Nahal Roked
- Nahal Snir
- Nahal Sa’ar
44. The Valley Railway (rakevet haemek) stopped at:
a. Kfar Saba
b. Kfar Yehoshua
c. Kfar Tavor
d. Kfar Kish
45. Which of the following was the earliest Jewish neighborhood?
- Neve Tsedek
- Neve Shalom
- Ahuzat Bayit
- Kerem HaTeimanim
46. Which of the following is an educational institution whose design was inspired by the Jerusalem Temple?
- The Hebrew University campus at Giv’at Ram
- The Haifa Technion
- The Mikve Yisrael Agricultural School
- The Herzliya Hebrew Gymnasium in Tel Aviv
47. The first stop Wilhelm II made on his visit to the Land of Israel was at:
- The Nahal Taninim delta
48. The Dead Sea Works were founded by:
- Pinhas Sapir
- Pinhas Rotenberg
- Simha Blass
- Moshe Novomeiski
49. Ben Gurion’s Tomb overlooks:
- Nahal Tsin
- Nahal Avdat
- Nahal Paran
- Nahal Mamshit
50. At which of the following sites is there an observatory for migrating birds?
- Ma’aleh Shaharut
- Near Eilat
- Timna Park
- Ne’ot Smadar