“Gesher” (Hebrew: “Bridge”) was a Kibbutz formed in 1939 next to a bridge over the Jordan River, and hence its name.
In 1948 Jordanian and later Iraqi forces attacked and bombed the Kibbutz, but its members managed to repulse them. During the “War of attrition” the Kibbutz was again under gunfire, by the PLO.
The historical site presents today various remains from different periods, and a model of the “Naharayim” Hydro Electric station that operated nearby between 1932 to 1948.
|Gesher on Wikipedia|
|Gesher on Tripadvisor|
|Gesher on Google Maps|
Points of Interest in the Area
Go for a Virtual Stroll in Gesher Historical Site!