The Church of the Holy Sepulchre is located in the heart of the Christian quarter in the old city of Jerualem. It marks by Christian tradition the very site of the crucifixion, death, burial and resurrection of Jesus. It is visited by thousands of pilgrims on daily basis, and is perhaps the holiest site for the Christian World.
By Christian tradition the site was first recognised by Empress Helena Augusta , in the 4th century CE. She was led to the spot by the local guide, and according to a local legend she spotted not only the hill of crucifixion (The Golgotha ), and the Tomb of Jesus , but also pieces of wood in a nearby cave who cured a sick women and so identified as relics of the Cross.
The first church built over the site, completed in 335 CE was modified several times over the course of time, and there was even an attempt at some point to turn parts of it into a mosque in the early 10th century CE. The church today reflects mostly the rebuilding of the church by the Crusaders (completed in 1149 CE), and repairs after a severe fire in the church in 1808 CE.
It’s main sites are the Golgotha ; the Stone of Unction ; the Tomb of Jesus ; the Tomb of Joseph of Arimathea ; and Chapel of the finding of the Cross . It also presents the last five stations of the “Stations of the Cross” or “Via Dolorosa “. the Church is also known for it’s daily Processions , as well as its Immovable Ladder ..
The Church of the Holy Sepulchre ( Greek: Ναὸς τῆς Ἀναστάσεως Naos tes Anastaseos; Armenian: Սուրբ Հարության տաճար Surb Harut’yan tač̣ar; Latin: Ecclesia Sancti Sepulchri; also called the Church of the Resurrection or Church of the Anastasis by Orthodox Christians) is a church in the Christian Quarter of the Old City of Jerusalem.
|Church of the Holy Sepulchre on Tripadvisor|
Points of Interest in the Area
|Day tour in Jerusalem|
Book a tour to the Holy Sepulchre
The church of the Holy Sepulchre is in the heart of the Christian Quarter in the old city of Jerusalem. It takes about 2 hours explore it.