Beth-Shearim was a Jewish town in Roman and Byzantine times. It was mostly famous for being the burial of Rabbi Judah “the prince” , who codified the Mishnah . It was also the sear of the Sanhedrin for a while.
Beit Shearim was abandoned in the middle ages, and its location was forgotton.
The site was re-discovered by chance by Alexander Zaid in 1936, and later was excavated by several archaeological expeditions. Of the city itself little is known, although two structures that were unearthed may have functioned as synagogues in antiquity, and perhaps even as the seat of the Jewish “Sanhedrin”.
Around the city of big Jewish Necropolis was uncovered containing dozens of catacombs with hundreds of coffins, some still bearing decorative motifs and inscriptions.
|Beth-Shearim on Wikipedia|
|Beth-Shearim on Google Maps|
Points of Interest in the Area