“Nachlaot” (Hebrew for: “Collonies”) is collective name for over 23 neighborhoods formed in western Jerusalem in the late 19th and early 20th centuries CE. These early Jewish neighborhoods outside the walls of the old city of Jerusalem are an historical landmark. They represent and important chapter in the history of the Zionist Movement and the history of Jerusalem
History of Nachlaot
The first neighborhood of Nachlaot was formed in 1875 on the side of the main road from Jerusalem to Jaffa (“Jaffa road”). Gradually more properties were purchased along the road, grouping into one big neighborhood. One of the properties was reserved for commerce. Named “Mahane Yehudah Market”, it is the main open market of Jerusalem to this day.
Due to its central location and gentrification, prices of housing in Nachlaot are on a constant rise. Nevertheless, a strict conservation policy is preserving its original appearance – narrow lanes among stone-built structures, hidden courtyards and several small synagogues.
Nachlaot is a popular tourist destination especially on the high Jewish holidays of Yom-Kippur and Hannukah.
Book a Private Tour to Nahlaot
Contact us for a proposal of a full day tour of Jerusalem, that will also include a visit to Nahlaot.
Bar-Mitzvah in Nachlaot
Nachlaot can also be a special location for a Bar-Mitzvah ceremony, especially for families that relate to the communities that established one of its neighborhoods. The Ades Synagogue, for instance, was built by Jews from Alepho. Being so, it is great choice for a Bar-Mitzvah event for families with Jewish Syrian ancestry.
Points of Interest in the Area
|Supreme Court Building|
|Day Tour of Jerualem|