Al-Jazzar Mosque is named after the Ottoman governer Ahmad Pasha al-Jazzar (“The Cutter”), and it was deseigned by him. Completed in 1781, the mosque is imitating the “Hagia Sofia” building in Istanbul, and is built over the ruins of the “Santa Croce” church from the time of the Crusaders.
Al-Jazzar and his son are buried in the courtyard next to the building. The Mosque is the second biggest mosque in Israel, and one of the most impressive monuments from Ottoman times.
|Al-Jazzar Mosque on Wikipedia|
|Al-Jazzar Mosque on Tripadvisor|
|Al-Jazzar Mosque on Google Maps|
|Al-Jazzar Mosque on municipality Website|
Points of Interest in the Area
|Akko Mosaics synagogue|
|Tomb of Baha’u’llah (Bahji)|